Friday, September 24, 2004

Birds...

On my way to work today I saw a long line of birds sitting on a power lineright above a really busy expressway. It made me smile to see them just sitting there, one right next to the other, all looking down. I wondered what they thought of us humans sitting in our little cages rushing about out little lives. Whether they were saying to each other " why are they in such a rush? ", "someone must have found alot of food somewhere!"

We share the same surroundings with them, we are "smarter" than them, yet we are the ones rushing to find meaning and satisfaction in things that are furthest from our basic needs. We develop a complicated means of trade, build an intricate economy, basically create our own little eco-system. But we fail to pay attention to the one that is already created for us.

Could we be happy living like the birds? ya, I mean we are smarter, we could figure out a way to have everyones needs met without competition and overconsumption. But that would mean we have to work together, share, and not have hierarchies. Well hmm thats starting to sound like a certain book I have read, I better stop now before I get myself in trouble:)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shveta! I really love all your entries. It's great just to know what people think about in their day of the simplest things. It is in these simple things that we learn much from. Wouldn't life just be that much more beautiful if we could stop and admire the smallest flower in a field or even off of the sidewalk? There is so much to appreciate and yet we do not. I can totally understand what you mean by us humans creating our own complications. I often wonder why do we do what we do? What is the purpose? Hmm, something from me to ponder while watching the hummingbirds feed on the feeder in our backyard:)
So, to the simplicity of life, Krishna

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home