Monday, September 27, 2004

experiencing nature

I spent this last weekend backpacking in Santa Cruz. This meant carrying everything on my back and hiking to a campsite about 4 miles away. Doesn't sound like much but it was the hardest hike I have ever done. Just a few minutes into this hike I realized I had packed too much, my pack was SO heavy. I also realized we should have left earlier for the hike since it would take us longer with the heavy packs on our back. But of course it was too late to have those thoughts so I tried to focus on the hill before me. I was definitely out of my comfort zone at that point, and testing my limits physically and mentally. Then to top it off, I fell. Great, now I had a twisted ankle and a skinned knee...lots of pain.

I was so happy to finally see the sign leading to our campsite! We set up camp in this really cool clearing surrounded by tall redwood trees. At night we battled a couple of hungry racoons for out food. We lost most of it though, and were hungry and tired the later next day for the last part of the hike back. It was still very beautiful, despite all the challenges, it was great to be surrounded by trees and silence. In these kinds of situations I think you realize whats important in life: food and shelter!!! And what's not : negative thoughts, and extra baggage!
It was a great experience but next time gotta be more prepared for the hike as well as the wild life:)

2 Comments:

Blogger Guri Mehta said...

Hi Shveta,

Hope your knee is fully recovered. =)

Saw your blog listed on the CF blog and thought I'd check it out. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks!

guri =)

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you write a blog about a hike without actually saying where it was (the trail, the park, something)!?

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home